Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beat Hotel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8118155.stm

I just read this article and though I have not had much interest in Beat culture previously, I was intrigued.  I was interested to learn about the Burglar with a Camera, a landlady with light bulbs on her desk glowing according to how much electricity was being used in each room, and the author who put pages in order at random by dividing them into several wire baskets.  There is just something compelling about people whole-heartedly defining their life by their philosophy, even if I think it's a little nuts.

I am so intrigued by people's ideas, especially how they explain their world.  I think art is an incredible medium for exploration of ourselves.  Perhaps you don't think you identify with art, but I would ask how many movies have flavored your view of the world, your ideas, your very speech? 

 A lot of times I come across art I don't really resonate with until I learn the story behind it. Like Mondrian.  His blue, yellow, and red pieces held no interest for me--until I heard an art history lecture about them.  When I learned that they represented his ideas about the balancing basic forces of nature--and especially when I learned that he only walked in right angles so as to stay in harmony with these forces--I was fascinated.  I think what I really love is people, people exploring, people trying to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment