Friday, June 26, 2009

Bombing in Baghdad


I have finally begun to read the news on a regular basis and I am continuously shaken by how little I know of the world and how little I realize the suffering that is taking place as constantly as my breath.  Wars are being fought, wives are murdering their husbands, children are literally starving to death, planes are crashing into oceans, peaceful political protesters are being attacked and arrested, hands are being amputated for stealing.  I just don't understand how it is possible for me to live in complete indifference to this.  There is a part of me that believes violence and deep suffering is no longer real--that we have come to some happy plateau--how can I be so removed from the world?  

Here is a short article about a bombing in which 70 people were killed--70--and they get hardly as many words to commemorate them.  Here I sit giving more voice to my thoughts than 70 lives snuffed out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment