Thursday, June 25, 2009

Why I'm writing

“To experience seems not quite enough for us, we want to know what we’ve experienced; we yearn to analyze it, debate it, even, at times, doubt and refute it”

-Joyce Carol Oates

There is just something inside me that needs to write.  I was told that the untangling of our thoughts happens when our pencil pushes across the paper--granted I am not using a pencil but I still think the metaphor is apt. So I am writing to process, but more than that, I want to reflect my thinking off others. Others have experience, insight, perspective that I don't have and I can learn from.  I believe that we each have unique purpose and reflection of truth, and, therefore, the more stories we learn from each other, the more fully we understand life.  And I just have to believe there is a point to all the things I'm learning and observing every day--that I can use them for something.  So I will be wrong, ill-informed, ignorant, but like an actor onstage or a member of a choir, I want to make my mistakes loud so I can learn from them instead of feigning perfection while all the time feeling completely lost and uncertain.

And, on a less lofty note, I just want to make myself start writing in complete sentences again. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment